Insulbar: Pioneering Green Insulating Thermal Breaks for a Sustainable Future
Insulbar – Plastic Insulating Profiles
Ensinger invented the plastic insulating profile for thermally broken metal systems over 40 years ago, marketing these innovative products worldwide under the insulbar® brand name. Thermally insulating profiles are a key component in modern aluminum window, door and facade systems. By thermally decoupling the inner and outer aluminum frames, the profiles minimizes heat transfer and energy loss, enabling outstanding thermal insulation performance.
Ensinger is a leading manufacturer of high-performance plastic products for the building and construction industry. With over 50 years of experience developing engineered plastics applications, Ensinger provides innovative solutions to enhance thermal insulation, energy efficiency, and sustainability in windows, doors, façades and other building components. Ensinger provides innovative Solutions for Sustainable Building Construction.
insulbar delivers significant advantages over traditional metal thermal breaks:
– Excellent thermal insulation – enables Uf values under 1.3 W/m2K and Uw values meeting passive house standards
– Durability and weather resistance – Made of robust engineered thermoplastics like UV-stabilized glass fiber reinforced polyamide, maintains integrity over decades of use
– Design flexibility – Various geometries, sizes and finishes enable optimization of thermal performance for diverse systems
– Processing ease – Profiles fit existing fabrication methods and can be anodized or powder coated
– Cost effectiveness – Affordable material and fabrication costs versus other solutions
– Sustainability – Products like insulbar RE made of recycled materials reduce environmental impact
– Quality and performance – Insulbar meets international standards, proven in thousands of installations
insulbar profiles are made from dimensionally stable, low thermal conductivity materials that ensure durable thermal separation over the lifetime of building systems. Ensinger offers insulbar profiles in a wide range of geometries, materials, and finishing options to meet diverse application requirements:
– Standard profiles in various sizes efficiently thermally break tilt-turn, sliding, and other window and door systems
– Roll-up profiles without functional elements provide basic insulation for common designs
– Functional profiles with grooves, channels, etc. to accommodate seals and glazing elements
– Special hollow profile designs optimize insulation zones and accommodate larger glass units
– Supplementary profiles like glazing beads and runner rails improve performance
Ensinger continuously innovates, recently developing products like:
– insulbar with Low-E Film for improved Uf without foams, enabling easier processing and coating
– insulbar LI foamed profile that improves Uf values without changing system design
– 100% recycled insulbar RE that reduces CO2 emissions, ideal for green building certification
– Shear-free insulbar that prevents door deformation from temperature changes
Custom Profiles and Services
Beyond standard insulbar, Ensinger works closely with fabricators to engineer custom profiles for special applications like hidden vent windows, sliding doors, structural glazing, curtain walls, and skylights. Their in-house facilities allow rapid prototyping and small batch production of application-specific solutions.
With global production and sales locations, Ensinger supports customers worldwide with material selection advice, application engineering, quality management, and responsive delivery of standard or custom products. Ensinger helps fabricators achieve high-performance, sustainable and profitable building solutions.
Over 50 years of plastics expertise and real-world building industry experience makes Ensinger an ideal long-term partner for developing innovative insulating profiles that meet evolving demands for energy efficiency, sustainability, design flexibility and profitability.